Twenty years ago, a feisty kindergartner named Junie B. Jones stepped onto the book scene via a smelly school bus. Since that day, Junie B.’s funny, tell-it-like-it-is style hasn’t changed, nor has her popularity with young readers (maybe you were one of them?). With kindergarten in the rearview mirror, there are now 27 books in the series (a brand new book, Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten, comes out in August) and Junie B. has gone on to adventures with tropical birds, missing teeth, and everything in between.
To celebrate the 20th anniversary, there is a new full-color edition of Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus that includes special features like an interview with author Barbara Park (conducted by guess who?). Lucky for us, Junie B. found time in her busy schedule to tell us a few unknown facts about herself in this Amazon exclusive:
10 Top-Secret Personal Facts about Me, Junie B.
By Junie B. Jones
1. My birthday is Junie the 1st!
2. My mother’s name is Susan, Susie, Suz, Mommy, and Mother. Plus sometimes Daddy calls her Buttercup. That is ridiculous I think.
3. My favorite food is yummy, delicious lemon pie. Plus also I like ‘pasketti and meatballs and whipped cream in a can, and sugar cookies! I do not like peas. Or Tuna Noodle Stinkle (that dish does not smell delightful).
4. When I grow up I would like to be the janitor of my school. The janitor saves people from danger. And paints litter cans. And carry keys that unlock the bathroom. Without the janitor we couldn’t even go to the toilet. I would also enjoy being Beauty Shop guy, I think.
5. My grandma, Helen Miller has a pet bird named Twitter. (Only I hate that dumb bird).
6. I am not actually a fan of roosters either. One time, a boy named meanie Jim said that roosters can peck your head into a nub. And that is not pleasant, I tell you.
7. The name of my school is Clarence somebody or other Elementary School.
8. I usually take the stupid smelly bus to school. Only some mornings I accidentally spill cereal down the front of me at breakfast. And then I accidentally dance with Teddy instead of changing clothes. And so I accidentally miss the bus. Then Mother has to drive me. She is not pleasant when that happens.
9. When I am scared in the dark, I grab my bestest stuffed animal named Philip Johnny Bob. And then both of us sing, “The sun will come out tomorrow” from the hit musical ANNIE.
10. My favorite fruits are fruit loops, cherry jello, grape Kool-aid, orange popsicles, strawberry shortcake, blueberry pancakes and chocolate covered raisins.